- 2016 -
- Spring 2016: CBTH student Luan Nguyen gave a talk at the Geophysical Society of Houston: Potential fields SIG Dinner on May 19th
- Spring 2016: Congratulations for Pin Lin’s AAPG grant-in-aid that will fund her study of source rock maturity in the South Florida basin. She will travel to the Florida State Geological Survey core faculty in Tallahassee to sample cores. Analysis will be done at the UH Petroleum Geochemistry Lab. Click here to read more.
- Spring 2016: 15 CBTH graduate and undergraduate student researchers presented at the 2016 Research Day and Industry Open House hosted by the UH Dept. of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences on the main UH campus on Friday, April 29, 2016. Click here for abstracts and more details.
- Spring 2016: Congratulations to the UH Team, including CBTH PhD student Joan Marie Blanco (currently completing her PhD on Venezuela 3D seismic data), who won the Geological Society of Houston's Regional Challenge Bowl in April and will go on to compete in the finals at the SEG International Exposition and 86th Annual meeting in Dallas. For more details, click here.
- Spring 2016: Congratulations to the 2016 University of Houston Imperial Barrel Award (IBA) team who placed second in a field of 12 Gulf Coast universities on April 15, 2016. Team members included Shenelle Gomez (Team captain and CBTH-supported PhD student working on the Barbados area), David Mora, Jing Hua, Lingfei Mao, and Jordan Dickinson. First place was the University of New Orleans and third place was Texas A&M University. The UH AAPG student chapter received a check for $2000 from AAPG. For details, the program for the competition is posted here.
- Spring 2016: Congratulations to CBTH undergraduate Sabrina Martinez, who was recently selected to participate in the ExxonMobil Guadalupe Field School on April 2-9, 2016 in West Texas and New Mexico. Sabrina is currently working for the CBTH Project on the Puerto Rico area. For more information, click here.
- Spring 2016: On Feb. 29, we provided an updated GIS database for our sponsors covering on- and offshore Mexico, as well as a compilation map of continent-ocean boundaries in the CBTH study area. The files can be downloaded via our secure FTP.
- Spring 2016: On March 1, 2016, all papers from the AAPG Bulletin special issue titled "Geologic and geophysical synthesis of the Nicaraguan Rise and western Caribbean: A framework for understanding its petroleum potential" (editor: P. Mann) were submitted for review. These papers will be available for sponsors following the review process.
- Spring 2016: Two new CBTH Publications by Nguyen and Mann (2016) and Sanchez et al. (2015) are now online and available to project sponsors here (password required).
- Spring 2016: CBTH PhD student Stephen Leslie presented at the SPE/AAPG Colombia Offshore - Challenges and Opportunities for an Emerging Industry Workshop on March 2, 2016 at 2 p.m. Click here for more information.
- 2015 -
- Fall 2015: AAPG Memoir 108: Petroleum Geology and Potential of the Colombian Caribbean Margin, co-edited by Dr. Paul Mann, can now be ordered at the AAPG Books website. Click here for more details.
- Fall 2015: CBTH students presented in the EAS student poster competition at the UH-HGS annual Robert E. Sheriff lecture on Monday, November 16, 2015. To view a list of presentations, including the 13 CBTH student presenters, click here. CBTH students were recognized with two of the three first place awards: Callum Byers (Undergrad category) and Zach Martindale (Beginning PhD category).
- Fall 2015: CBTH PhD student Luis Carlos Carvajal tied for third place at the Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies (GCAGS) convention in Houston on September 21-22. To read more, click here, and for a full list of CBTH presentations and abstracts at this year's meeting, click here.
- Fall 2015: The CBTH Annual Sponsors Meeting was held on Friday, September 18, 2015 at the UH Hilton.
Click here for more details.
- Spring 2015: CBTH graduate Maria Catalina Moreno-López and Co-P.I. Alejandro Escalona were recently published in the
August issue of AAPG Bulletin (v.99 no.8). The issue was co-edited by CBTH Co-P.I. Paul Mann.
- Spring 2015: CBTH students and researchers recently presented at the 2015 AAPG Annual Conference & Exhibition on May 31 - June 3, 2015 in Denver, Colorado, where PhD student Steve Leslie placed 2nd in the student poster competition.
Click here for information on CBTH presentations at AAPG 2015.
- Spring 2015: Anadarko recently announced a gas discovery at the Kronos well in the offshore Colombia region, a key CBTH study area.
Click here to read more.
- Spring 2015: CBTH students Shenelle Gomez, Tricia Alvarez, and Kyle Reuber, along with CBTH researcher Paul Mann,
presented their research at the 20th Caribbean Geological Conference in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago on May 17-22nd. For information on CBTH presentations at the Caribbean Geological Conference,
click here. To view the full presentation schedule,
click here (PDF).
- 2014 -
- Fall 2014: The American Geophysical Union hosted its Fall Meeting on December 15-19, 2014 in San Francisco. CBTH Presenters included Ian Ambrosius, Steve Leslie, Jiannan Wang, and Patrick Loureiro.
For more information, click here.
- Fall 2014: Congratulations to Patrick Loureiro, Naila Dowla, and Derek Scott for their first, second, and third place poster awards, respectively, at the
13th Annual Conference on African Exploration and Production, jointly organized by the Houston Geological Society and the Petroleum Exploration
Society of Great Britain. The meeting was held on September 9-10, 2014, at The Westin Houston, Memorial City.
- Fall 2014: The CBTH Annual Sponsor Meeting was held on Friday, September 12, 2014 at the University of Houston.
Click here to view the presentation schedule and more details.
- Summer 2014: Congratulations to Lucia Torrado, who was
recently published in the August 2014 issue of Geophysics. This publication was adapted from her award-winning
"Top Ten Presentation" for the 2013 AAPG ICE meeting in Cartagena, Colombia.
- Summer 2014: Congratulations to Tricia Alvarez for her third place award for best student oral presentation on her study of the
Trinidad area at the 2014 AAPG ACE meeting. This makes the third student presentation award at this meeting to the CBTH
group. Tricia also won a third place best student poster award at the 2009 AAPG ACE meeting.
- Spring 2014: The University of Houston Research Day was held on Friday, April 25 from 1:30 to 3:30 pm. Of the 14 UH award-winning
presentations by the Dept. of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences to be recognized, 7 of them were presented by grad students
supported by the CBTH project. Click here for more information.
- Spring 2014: Congratulations to Bryan Ott and Javier Sanchez, who came in 3rd and 4th place, respectively, at the AAPG 2014 Annual Meeting
Student Poster Competition! Congratulations also go out to Carolina Mejia, who received the AAPG Foundation 2014 Grant-In-Aid.
Click here to read more.
- Spring 2014: Congratulations to Rocio Bernal for passing her PhD defense on April 1, 2014, at the University of Houston. After finalizing
the final dissertation document and a break, Dr. Bernal will begin her job as an explorationist with ConocoPhillips in Houston.
Her five year PhD study was entirely supported by the CBTH project.
- Spring 2014: We thank Halliburton for selecting the University of Houston as one of their five US universities to better understand the role of the
Halliburton University Grant Program (UGP) in UH educational and research activities. Halliburton provides UH with Landmark interpretation software.
- Spring 2014: AAPG hosted its annual convention in Houston, TX on April 6-9, 2014. To view a list of CBTH posters and presentations at the meeting, click here.
- Spring 2014: Congratulations to the 2014 UH Imperial Barrel Team Award Team (co-advisor: Paul Mann), who came in 3rd Place at the Gulf Coast Imperial Barrel Award Regional Competition:
Click here to read more.
- Spring 2014: Congratulations to the 2014 University of Stavanger Imperial Barrel Team
Award Team (advisor: Alejandro Escalona), who came in 4th Place at the European
Imperial Barrel Award Regional Competition
- Spring 2014: Congratulations to PhD student Joan Blanco for her second place finish in the SEG Regional Gulf Coast Challenge Bowl, February 2014.
Click here to read more.
- Spring 2014:Congratulations to Lisa Bingham for her promotion to Associate Professor in
Geology and GIS in the Department of Petroleum Engineering at the University of
Stavanger. Lisa is one of the longest serving workers for the CBTH project:
undergrad research assistant at UT Austin in 2002-5; CBTH project manager at UT
from 2005-9; and Stavanger from 2009-present.
- Spring 2014: Congratulations to CBTH students Bryan Ott, Karilys Castillo, and Marie de los Santos, who tied for third and received
Honorable Mention, respectively, at the 2014 GCSSEPM Graduate Student Poster Competition.
Click here for photos and more information.
- 2013 -
- Fall 2013: Representatives of the CBTH project presented at the 3rd Annual PaleoGIS and Paleoclimate meeting,
Houston, Texas, November 14, 2013. Click here for
an agenda and a list of abstracts.
- Fall 2013: November's issue of Earth Magazine features an article on Vargas and Mann's recent BSSA paper regarding Colombian earthquakes.
Click here to view the follow-up article.
- Fall 2013: Paul Mann presented an invited talk on Caribbean margins at the EGI, University of Utah, Sheared Margins Meeting, Snowbird, Utah, September 30-October 1, 2013.
Click here to download the list of presentations (PDF).
- Fall 2013: CBTH would like to welcome its 19th active consortium member, Premier Oil. Thanks for your support!
- Fall 2013: The CBTH Project held its annual sponsors meeting on Friday, September 20, 2013 in Cemo Hall at the University of Houston. Click here for
this year's presentation schedule, photos and more.
- Fall 2013:
CBTH would like to welcome its 18th active consortium member, Murphy Oil Corp. Thanks for your support!
- Summer 2013: The American Association of Petroleum Geologist and its Latin America Region hosted the AAPG International Conference and
Exhibition in Cartagena on September 8-11, 2013. Click here to view a list of
abstracts presented by CBTH researchers at this year's meeting
- Summer 2013: CBTH Researchers Carlos Vargas and Paul Mann and their work on the Caldas tear in Colombia are the subject of an article in June
2013's Science Daily. Click here to read.
- Spring 2013: Congratulations to PhD Candidates Rocio Bernal and Bryan Ott, who placed 1st and 2nd, respectively, in the poster competition at the 2013 UH Research Day.
- Spring 2013: The American Association of Petroleum Geologists hosted the
2013 AAPG Annual Convention in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on May 19-22. CBTH Graduate Students Bryan Ott, Luis Carlos Carvajal, and
Lucia Torrado swept the Student Poster Competition, placing 1st, 2nd,
and 3rd Place, respectively.
Click here to view a full list of abstracts presented by CBTH researchers.
- Spring 2013: The UH Imperial Barrel Team placed third in the Gulf Coast Regional Competition sponsored by the American Association of Petroleum Geologists. CBTH Principal
Investigator Paul Mann served as one of the faculty advisors for the team and CBTH PhD candidate Kyle Reuber served as team captain.
Click here for more information.
Spring 2013: CBTH would like to welcome its 17th active consortium member, Tullow Oil. Thanks for your support!
Spring 2013: The Geological Society of America hosted its South-Central Section meeting on April 4-5 in Austin, Texas. UH presented 16 total
presentations at the meeting, 6 of which were presented by CBTH students and research staff. For a complete list of presentations,
- 2012 -
- Fall 2012: Congratulations to CBTH Master's Student Lucia Torrado, who completed her degree from the University of Houston in December 2012!
- Fall 2012: CBTH Researcher Lisa Bingham is featured in
an article on Geoforskning.no's website (in Norwegian). The article highlights Bingham's work with GIS mapping of petroleum provinces and
her recent publication in November's issue of AAPG Bulletin.
- Fall 2012: Congratulations to CBTH Undergraduate Johnathon Osmond, who been selected to
receive a $2,500 scholarship from the HGS Undergraduate Scholarship Foundation
for the 2012-2013 academic year. Click here to view a list of previous
- Fall 2012: Congratulations to Rocio Bernal for winning the Tier 3 (advanced graduate students) category for the UH poster competition
held in conjunction with the annual Sheriff lecture on November 19, 2012. The title of her poster is: "Defining the geometry
of the subducted Caribbean slab beneath NW Colombia and its control on the overriding Lower Magdalena forearc basin".
- Fall 2012: CBTH Undergraduate Naila Dowla is the subject of a profile on the University of Houston Honors College
website for Undergraduate Research.
Click here to read the article.
- Fall 2012: Paul Mann, Bryan Ott, Naila Dowla, and Murad Hasan attended the American Geophysical
Union (AGU) Fall Meeting. In addition, Dr. Paul Mann co-convened 2
sessions: Session T002 - Active Caribbean Plate Margins: Integrating studies for
earthquake and tsunami hazard; and Session T040 - Tectonic mechanisms for extension along convergent margins.
UH faculty and students presented 50 oral and poster presentations at this year's meeting.
- Fall 2012: PhD Student Javier Sanchez presented at the
2012 GSA Annual Meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina from Nov. 4-7.
His presentation was titled "Sedimentary and structural response of right-lateral transpression associated with oblique convergence along
Caribbean-South American plate margin, Northern Colombia."
- Fall 2012: Volunteers from the CBTH group presented K-12 hands-on activities covering earthquakes, global distribution of hydrocarbons, plate
tectonics, and sedimentary basins at the Houston Energy Day Festival on Saturday,
October 20, 2012 at Hermann Square, City Hall. Other groups from the UH Dept of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences and the Physics Dept also had
hands-on demonstrations of physics, geophysics and atmospheric sciences.
- Fall 2012: The Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies (GCAGS) Annual Convention was held on October 20-24 in Austin, TX.
Thanks to all presenters and attendees who made it a success!
- Fall 2012: The CBTH Project held its 2012 Annual Sponsor Meeting on Friday, September 21st at the University
of Houston. We'd like to thank all our sponsors and colleagues for attending and offering their insight.
- Fall 2012: Paul Mann and PhD Student Tricia Alvarez presented a one-day short course at the
Geological Society of Trinidad & Tobago 5th Geological Conference in Port-of-Spain Trinidad from September 3-7.
- Fall 2012: CBTH would like to welcome its 16th & 17th active consortium members: ConocoPhillips and
Hocol. Thanks for your support!
- Summer 2012: PhD Student Rocio Bernal and CBTH MS Graduate Henry Campos presented their research at the
Bolivarian Symposium of Petroleum Exploration in Sub-Andean Basins in Cartagena, Colombia
on July 29th - August 2nd.
- Summer 2012: Brendan Figueira presented his work at the
Copenhagen meeting of the European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers on June 4-7, 2012.
- Summer 2012: Undergrad CBTH hires for summer 2012: We are hiring four UH undergrad geology or geophysics majors for this
summer who will work under the supervision of GIS specialist, Murad Hasan. Most were selected from a group
of students from Paul Mann's UH undergrad field methods class and have excelled in two UH classes: Intro to
GIS and Intro to Remote Sensing. Their CBTH duties will include making a high resolution DEM for the CBTH region
and helping to georeference maps and other data for the CBTH database.
- Summer 2012: PhD student Javier Sanchez recently published
his MS-based thesis research in the journal Tectonics. The title of the paper is "Kinematic evolution of Andean fold-thrust structures
along the boundary between the Eastern Cordillera and Middle Magdalena Valley basin, Colombia". Javier also recently received
1st prize in the Post-Graduate category of Midland Valley's 2012 Student Structural Competition for work based on the same Master's research
- Spring 2012: Alejandro Escalona, Lisa Bingham, and Catalina Moreno presented their work at the
St. Petersburg meeting of the European Association of Geoscientists & Engineers on April 2-5, 2012.
- Spring 2012: Students and researchers of the CBTH project presented their work in poster
sessions and presentations at the
2012 AAPG Long
Beach Meeting. A complete listing of CBTH presentations at AAPG 2012 is
in our March newsletter.
- Spring 2012: The UH Imperial Barrel Award (IBA) team placed third at the
Gulf Coast IBA Regional Competition on March 30.
CBTH student Bryan Ott was a member of this group and the team was co-advised by CBTH P.I. Paul Mann.
- Spring 2012: UH PhD Student Rocio Bernal and UiS PhD Student Irina Chursina presented their work at the GSA Penrose meeting
"Deformation, Fluid Flow, and Mass Transfer
in the Forearc of Convergent Margins" in Lucca, Italy from March 28-31, 2012.
- Spring 2012: Representatives from the University of Houston and the University of Stavanager met in Stavanger recently to discuss
cooperation between the two universities in the areas of geosciences and history, as well as the possibility
to elevate the cooperation to the faculty level.
Click here to read the full story.
- 2011 and before -
- Fall 2011: Former CBTH Undergraduate Guy Fitz won "Outstanding Student Paper Award" from the
Tectonophysics Section of AGU
for the 2011 Fall Meeting. Guy's presentation was entitled, "Regional tectonic context, timing, and
intrusion mechanism of gneiss domes, eastern Papua New Guinea, from offshore seismic reflection and well data."
- Spring 2011: CBTH Students Henry Campos and Rocio Bernal received the 1st and 3rd place awards at the
2011 AAPG Annual
Meeting in Houston, TX based on their thesis and dissertation studies.
Fall 2008: David Contreras is the
first place student winner for Best Poster Presentation at AAPG 2008.
- Fall 2008: UiS opens a new petroleum geosciences engineering line of study and a state-of-the-art computer lab funded
by Statoilhydro with the latest technology for subsurface interpretation. Alejandro Escalona designed the lab so that students will have
the same data and software experience as in the industry.
- Fall 2008: Alejandro Escalona is the program organizer for a new line of studies at UiS in petroleum geosciences
- Fall 2008: Industry and Academia collaboration at UiS.
- Spring 2008: New bachelor degree in petroleum geology available at the University of Stavanger.
- April 2008: Alejandro Escalona among 34 geoscientists to receive award at AAPG conference.
- September 2007: Alejandro Escalona received the J. C. "Cam"
Sproule award from AAPG.